Freedom of Information (FOI) is a valuable resource for the voluntary sector.
FOI provides a right to see the information held by Scotland's public authorities. Information that can help you see the bigger picture - informing campaigns, supporting clients and helping to achieve organisational goals.
FOI has been used to access information on a huge range of issues, from the cleanliness of hospitals, to the availability of services for disabled people, to the rationale behind the funding decisions made by central or local government.
We hope you'll be inspired by the stories accessible from this page, which provide real-life examples where voluntary organisations and campaigners across Scotland have made the most of their right to know.
The links on this page also provide more information on how you can make freedom of information work for you.
The most important thing to remember is that using FOI is simple - all you have to do is ask.
Find out more...
User experiences -
Learn about real-life examples where voluntary sector staff and campaigners have used FOI to help achieve their goals.
Hints and tips
- Read our hints and tips on how voluntary sector organisations can get the most out of FOI.
- Find answers to the questions we are commonly asked by voluntary sector staff.
- Explore our practical guidance on how to make an FOI request - and what to do if you don't get what you're looking for.
Your Right To Know
- Download a copy of "Your Right to Know" - our practical guide to FOI in Scotland. (PDF 4.4MB) A text-only Word version
is also available (138kB).
- Find out more about a research study which explored the use of FOI by the voluntary sector in Scotland.
- Sign up to receive your copy of "Inform" - the Scottish Information Commissioner's bi-monthly electronic newsletter.
If we haven't answered your question here, or if you would like to discuss any aspect of FOI or share your story with us, contact us - we'd love to hear from you.
Our enquiry line is open from 9am to 5pm, from Monday to Friday - 01334 464610. Or you can email us on email@example.com